The Emerging Minority Leaders (EML) Conference encourages the development of new PTA leaders who can succeed in building bridges to ethnically diverse families to engage with PTA. This conference is the premier family engagement program for training ethnically diverse leaders to serve underserved school populations. You will learn about the issues ethnically diverse families face in our nation’s school systems, develop your leadership skills, and share your experiences with others.
PTA (NPTA) President Anna Weselak (IL) in 2006 and held in Michigan. I just had the honor of meeting Anna at the EML Breakfast at the 2013 NPTA Convention in Cincinnati. I asked her how did she get the vision to start the EML and she explained, “We knew the organization needed more diversity and thought, what better way to bring in minorities, then to get the current leaders to train the new ones.” Our Kentucky PTA sent me to the EML in the Chicago area in 2008. The EML was a fabulous wealth of information, networking opportunities, leadership and resources. I was very impressed by how well it was organized.
I am thankful for its leader, Dee Jones, National PTA Diversity Chair. The first state that hosted its EML was Pennsylvania PTA.
The next National PTA Emerging Minority Leaders Conference is the leadership conference you do not want to miss. Join us October 11-13, 2013 at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Washington, DC – Crystal City to build a national network of peers and learn how to overcome the challenges you face as a PTA leader, community advocate, parent and/or caregiver. Registration will open in July.
Attend this conference if you…
- are an emerging minority leader
- are interested in increasing your leadership skills to grow as a PTA leader and child advocate
- want an opportunity to share information and resources with fellow emerging minority PTA leader; and/or
- want to learn strategies for engaging ethnic minority communities and schools.
Also, join us on the PTA Great Idea Bank with the EML group I created. Emerging Minorities Leaders (EML) Group is open to All wanting to share insight on networking, training, outreach along with topics desired or highlights appreciated at national EML Conferences or EML workshops in your state.
- Blogging at 2013 National PTA Convention in Cincinnati (debateandswitch.wordpress.com)
- Minority leader makes major impact (mysouthwestga.com)
- Black Leaders Share Agenda with President Obama
- School to Prison Pipeline